Paper manufacturer achieves 15% rise in output
A paper manufacturer wanted to improve customer delivery while reducing manufacturing costs to compete in a developing world market.
CornerStone engaged cross-functional teams to address chronic manufacturing issues, improve quality and throughput, and cut costs. A refined maintenance system improved equipment up-time, eliminating bottlenecks and a reorganised MRP (materials resource planning) system improved workflow and productivity.
- Addressed manufacturing problems with process re-engineering teams that included machine operators, quality personnel and engineering.
- Designed and implemented a structured System for Managing throughout the plant.
- Delineated requirements for the maintenance system and implemented the optimised system.
- Organised MRP system requirements and directed the implementation.
- Trained management and supervisory staff in the use of selected systems.
- Improve delivery performance by 98% by year end.
- Increase throughput by 15% by year end.
- Reduce scrap levels by 12% by year end.
- 97% delivery performance with additional improvements scheduled for implementation.
- Improved throughput by 15% with an associated reduction in cost.
- Increased machine up-time by more than 10%.
- Trained more than 120 staff on the use of maintenance and MRP systems.
- Reduced scrap by 15%.