Ice cream maker does more with less
One of North America’s leading ice cream manufacturers sought to create a more demand-driven and efficient operation in the face of rising competition. CornerStone was recruited to develop a reliable demand forecasting model, analyse the client’s product portfolio and pricing, and implement production, resource, inventory and planning systems.
CornerStone analytical professionals conducted a Discovery and Design process that identified and detailed the key issues, the specific approach required to achieve the desired results and the projected benefits. Teams were assigned to prioritised projects and redesigned critical processes.
- Developed and implemented an enhanced production planning inventory control process that supported more accurate demand forecasting.
- Developed and implemented a project rationalisation and prioritisation process focused on critical projects, including those related to the enterprise resource planning system, production planning, capacity optimisation and scheduling.
- Reengineered the equipment utilisation, maintenance, changeover/set-up, sanitation and scheduling processes.
- Developed labour efficiency models for direct and indirect labour.
- Redesigned the distribution model to optimise inventory positioning, movement efficiency and transportation channels.
- Conducted a SKU (stock-keeping unit) rationalisation determining profit contribution, consumer demand, pricing, channel and portfolio breadth and content.
- Achieve 97% peak period (April-August) customer service levels.
- Reducing inventories by 12% by year end.
- Reduced landed costs by 2.5%.
- Achieved customer service levels of 95% during the project and on track to reach 97% target by year end.
- Reduced inventories by 12% with an additional 10-15% targeted by year end.
- Reduced landed costs by 3%.